Friday, October 25, 2013

Weakness & Power



The following is an article I wrote for the Calvary Chapel Natomas emagazine called "CCN Connect Magazine" with the help of a fellow sister and editor extradonair. http://www.ccnatomas.com/index.php/about/ccn-connect-mag

I also do not own the above picture, any rights or credit to the image.

Like many Christians, I love what Paul says in Philippians 4:13, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." These words always seem so encouraging and empowering, don't they? And yet there are times when I wonder, "If I can do all things through Christ, why do I fail so often? Why do I get exhausted in ministry? Why does it feel like difficult tasks chew me up and spit me out? Why does it often feel like my strength is nowhere to be found?

Yet in these very questions lie the answers to my dilemma. If I am honest with myself, and if you are honest with yourself, we'd both have to admit that the operative word we're tempted to focus on in verse 13 is "I". I'll tell you right now, it's my favorite part. Why? Because my carnal nature loves to feel self-empowered and is too often, proud of it. My pride and independent spirit join forces and in that moment, who needs God?

But something I have noticed as I grow in my relationship to Christ: God never strengthens those who think they don't need His assistance. End of story! And I'm not the only one to reach this conclusion. The same confident saint who wrote Philippians 4:13 also wrote 2 Corinthians 12:9 which reads, "He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."

Philippians 4:13 is one of those verses well-meaning Christians toss into virtually every difficult circumstance. But I wonder how many believers ever think about how these two verses are connected. Human weakness does not automatically qualify us to receive God's strength any more than being human automatically qualifies us to receive eternal life.We must choose to ask for and receive both or gain neither.

There must be a recognition of and surrender to the reality of our utter depravity apart from our Creator. And we must ask for and by faith receive God's supernatural strength which will enable us to do what the natural man cannot. Strength from Christ is the only strength that will allow us to "do all things", and the only way we will ever personally experience this powerful truth is when we humble ourselves and confess our need.

Over the past few weeks, God has given me the opportunity to understand this truth in a deeper, more personal way. Life just seemed to get harder and harder with each passing day. And I cam to a point where I'd had enough. No matter how deep I dug, or how far down within my soul I tried to reach, the cupboard was always bare. There was no strength or energy left to cope with the challenges I faced.

Completely overwhelmed and exhausted, I plopped down on my couch and cried. Thank God for the presence and wisdom of godly mothers. My mother sat quietly beside me as I poured out my desperate laundry list of perceived failures and inadequacies. I was ashamed to admit, even to her, that I could not keep up with everything and didn't know what to do. My strength was gone... period.

After listening to my woes, my mother wisely replied, "Maybe God wants you here, where you have no choice but to rely on Him."

I have to confess, that is not what I wanted to hear. My pride screamed, "I don't want to be a weak person! I don't want to have to rely on anyone for anything! I want to be an 'I can do all things' kind of saint." It wasn't until later that day that the Holy Spirit spoke to my heart and I finally realized that I could not know the power of His strength without first understanding my own human frailties.

No, human weakness does not automatically equal God's indwelling strength. But when a human heart chooses to admit their utter helplessness apart from their Creator; when a soul surrenders their will to God and cries out in utter despair, 'Lord I need you!', they have the immutable promise of God to answer such a plea. And I cannot be an "I can do all things" kind of saint while depending on my own strength.

The Apostle Paul, in 2 Corinthians 12:10, said, "...power is perfected in weakness...for when I am weak then I am strong." I now understand this truth better today than yesterday. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment